Hapū Trustee Elections 2023
Tapuika Iwi Authority and Tapuika Oranga Ake Trustee Elections for 2023
Edit: The original deadline of May 25 for nominations for Trustees has been extended, due to an error in the original notice regarding the retiring Trustee position of Ngāti Kurī. The nomination deadline has been extended an extra week in light of this error.
In accordance with the s11.6 (c), s15 of the Second Schedule of the Tapuika Iwi Authority Trust Deed, nominations are being called for Hapū Trustees to the Tapuika Iwi Authority Trust and Tapuika Oranga Ake from registered Tapuika adult members (aged 18 years and over).
The current Ngāti Kurī Hapū Trustee Tamaku Pau'u retires by rotation on 30 June 2023 but is available for re-election. The successful nominee will hold office for a period of three (3) years.
*Note: Rāwiri Biel was incorrectly stated as the Ngāti Kurī trustee to retire in the original notice. This has now been amended to the correct trustee Tamaku Pau'u.
The current Ngāti Marukukere Hapū Trustee Raiha Biel retires by rotation on 30 June 2023 but is available for re-election. The successful nominee will hold office for a period of three (3) years.
The current Ngāti Tūheke Hapū Trustee Kramer Ronaki retires by rotation on 30 June 2023 but is available for re-election. The successful nominee will hold office for a period of three (3) years.
The current Ngāti Moko Hapū Trustee Ashley Biel retires by rotation on 30 June 2023 but is available for re-election. The successful nominee will hold office for a period of three (3) years.
Criteria for Nominations
All nominations must be endorsed in writing signed by no less than five (5) adult Tapuika members, (aged 18 years at their last birthday) enrolled on the Tapuika Iwi Register and registered in the relevant hapū.
Every nomination must include a declaration signed by the nominee declaring:
● their consent to the nomination
● they are registered on the Tapuika Register as being 18 years and over; and
● registered in the relevant Hapū and residing in Aotearoa
● that they are not a person precluded from holding office as a Trustee i.e. not an undischarged bankrupt or hold a criminal conviction with a term of three (3) months imprisonment or more
● all other current positions and offices held by the nominee;
● any actual or potential conflicts of interest of which the nominee is aware
● any relevant qualifications and experience relevant to the position of Trustee
Skills Required of Trustees:
Trustees must have the following skills:
● strong network of whānau contacts within their relevant hapū they represent
● have knowledge of Tapuika tikanga
● be able to communicate well both orally and in writing
● be committed to attending all Trustee meetings
● be able to contribute to Trustee discussions and make informed decisions for the benefit of all of Tapuika
● be prepared to actively participate in Board Projects and Committees
Should the Iwi Authority receive more than one nomination for an available hapū trustee position, then an election by postal ballot will be held of all adult members aged 18 years at their last birthday, residing in Aotearoa and enrolled on the Tapuika Iwi Register for that hapū. The Tapuika Iwi Authority will send out all ballot papers to those eligible voters via postal or electronic means.
Nominations for Trustees close at 4:00 pm on Thursday 1 June 2023.